Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
After Jean-Baptiste left, a series of owners tried to make a living as hoteliers. By the 1860s the once-thriving town of Mendota was losing ground to the rapidly growing Minneapolis and St. Paul. Once demand for temporary lodging fell off, the home became a farmhouse.
By 1900 the Sibley and Faribault homes were shells of their former glory. Both were used as warehouses for onions and potatoes, and a railroad spur was built right to the front of the house to facilitate loading and unloading. Originally restored by the Works progress Administration in the 1930s, the Faribault House was acquired by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1935.
The Faribault House became home to the substantial DAR collection of Indian artifacts and served as a museum of relics. Today it is restored to the 1840s and houses an exhibit on the history of the site after the Civil War.
Just up the hill to
Historic Fort Snelling
Minnesota Historical Society
Sibley House Historic Site
All images are from the collections of the Minnesota Historical Society
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Minnesota Historical Society, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 44° 53.264′ N, 93° 10.003′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on D Street 0.2 miles north of 1st Street / Sibley Memorial Highway. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1357 Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota MN 55150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Where the Waters Meet" (here, next to this marker); Mendota / Sibley House Association (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Stone House (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Sibley and Old Mendota General Henry Hastings Sibley (about 300 feet away); Sibley House Historic Site (about 600 feet away); St. Peter's Church (about 700 feet away); Mendota / Sibley House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . .
1. Jean-Baptiste Faribault. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
2. Friends of the Sibley Historical Site. The Faribault House. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
3. Families of the Sibley Historical Site. Jean Baptiste Faribault. "In 1819, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Leavenworth, being impressed by Faribault's knowledge and understanding of the Dakota Indians, offered him military protection and assistance if he would settle near the new fort at the mouth of the St. Peter (Minnesota) River." (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.