“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Baraboo in Sauk County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

North Shore Hotel Era

North Shore Hotel Era Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 6, 2010
1. North Shore Hotel Era Marker
Inscription. The Hotel Era at Devil's Lake lasted from 1866 into the early 1900's. The north shore area catered to an upscale clientele.

Caption for top left photo: On February 22, 1866 the "Hotel Era" began at Devil's Lake with the opening of the Minnewauken House. Located on the northeast shore of the lake, it could accommodate up to 20 guests.

Caption for top middle photo: An early visitor to the Minnewauken House was Mary Todd Lincoln, the widow of Abraham Lincoln.

Caption for top right photo: In 1869, Samuel Hartley would launch a steamboat named the "Capitola" at the lake. Built in Madison, Wisconsin, its shrill whistle could be heard in Baraboo three miles away!

Caption for middle left photo: In 1873 train service to Baraboo and Devil's Lake commenced. In 1896 a second set of tracks would be constructed.

Caption for center photo: With trains now carrying visitors to Devil's Lake from throughout the Midwest, Hartley enlarged the Minnewauken House to accommodate 200 visitors. Louis Claude was commissioned to design the structure as a Swiss-style Chalet. It was renamed the "Cliff House".

Caption for middle right photo: It would be enlarged again in 1882 and an additional structure called the "Annex" would also be built. 400 people
North Shore Hotel Era Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 6, 2010
2. North Shore Hotel Era Marker
Devil's Lake and one of its surrounding bluffs are in the background.
could now be accommodated.

Caption for bottom left photo: Diners at the Cliff House were expected to wear proper attire for each meal. It was an elegant resort.

Caption for bottom middle photo: William B. Pearl (right) managed the Cliff House from 1878 until it closed in 1904. A post office was located in the Hotel lobby. The Cliff House was torn down in 1905.

Caption for bottom right photo: The Fortnightly Literary Club at the Cliff House. June 1900.
Location. 43° 24.549′ N, 89° 43.62′ W. Marker is near Baraboo, Wisconsin, in Sauk County. Marker can be reached from South Lake Road 3 miles west of Wisconsin Highway 113, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is in the South Shore area of Devil's Lake State Park (an entrance fee is required). Marker is in this post office area: Baraboo WI 53913, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early History of Devil's Lake (here, next to this marker); Devil's Lake and the Local Residents (here, next to this marker); South Shore Hotel Era (here, next to this marker); Ice Age National Scientific Reserve (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Warner Memorial Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ringling Brothers Circus (approx. 3.4 miles away); Indian Mounds and Village (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baraboo.
Categories. EntertainmentIndustry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement