“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wappingers Falls in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Mesier Park

Mesier Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 10, 2010
1. Mesier Park Marker
Inscription. On May 1, 1777, this dwelling with a farm of about four hundred and twenty two acres of land on which it stood, was conveyed to Peter Mesier of New York City by Nicholas Brewer, who had owned the property since October 9, 1741. It became the residence of the Mesier family and was known as the Mesier Homestead until August 27, 1891, when it was conveyed with a plot of five acres of land to the Village of Wappingers Falls under an agreement that the property be forever known as Messier Park.
Location. 41° 35.883′ N, 73° 55.033′ W. Marker is in Wappingers Falls, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Main Street (New York State Route 9D) and South Avenue (New York State Route 9D), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. It is attached to the house, to the right of the front door. Marker is in this post office area: Wappingers Falls NY 12590, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Mesier Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church & Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Gomez Mill House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gen. Swartwout Home
Mesier Park Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 10, 2010
2. Mesier Park Markers
This marker is on the right. The tablet on the left is the World War I memorial.
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Speck Zyn Kill (approx. 4.2 miles away); Griffin’s Tavern (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Academy (approx. 4.4 miles away); Maj. Genl. Marquis de Lafayette (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . .  Mesier Park & Homestead. “In 1776, a well-to-do loyalist tea merchant from New York City, Peter Mesier, arrived in Fishkill. He bought the 750 acres of land and the homestead from Nicholas Brewer and opened a small store in the homestead. Mesier angered his customers with high prices and in May of 1777, a number of people broke into his store and demanded tea, refusing to pay the high prices asked. For three days, the intruders beat Mesier and his wife and servants, destroyed his property and raided his cellar. Peter Mesier and his wife, Catherine Sleight, lived peacefully after the incident and together had eight children, three boys and five girls.” (Submitted on November 7, 2010.) 
Categories. Notable Buildings
The Mesier Homestead image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 10, 2010
3. The Mesier Homestead
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement