Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Nueces Hotel
As railroad lines made travel easier for the people of the state, a group of South Texas businessmen developed plans to attract vacationers to Corpus Christi. The construction of the Nueces Hotel in 1912-1913 was part of this development. Prominently sited on the waterfront, the hotel featured a banquet hall, two private dining rooms, a sun parlor, and 205 guest rooms. Hard times in Corpus Christi and damage sustained during the 1919 hurricane made the first years of the Nueces Hotel difficult ones. The hotel fared well, however, during the prosperous 1920s, due partly to improved railroad service and the opening of the port of Corpus Christi in 1926. By 1928 South Texas rancher William Whitby Jones (1858-1942) and his three daughters had gained control of most of the hotel stock. Ownership of the Nueces Hotel remained in the Jones family until 1961, and the structure then served for a time as a retirement center. In 1970 hurricane Celia caused such extensive damage to the old hotel that it was condemned and demolished a year later. For more than 50 years the Nueces Hotel was a center of civic and social activities, as well as a vacation facility. Its history serves as a reminder of Corpus Christi's development as a resort area.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 27° 47.826′ N, 97° 23.567′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on Water Street north of Peoples/Antelope Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is one block west of North Shoreline Blvd/Ocean Drive and five blocks southeast from the end of I-37. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 N Water St., Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Selena Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Niña (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corpus Christi Cathedral (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. half a mile away); Thomas S. Parker (approx. half a mile away); Irishtown (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Also see . . .
1. Nueces Hotel [Corpus Christi]. "... The first manager seems to have been Joe J. Nix. Staff included uniformed bellhops, generally black men, and uniformed Hispanic girls as elevator operators. Pages, according to Theodore Fuller's memoir, were boys whose voices had changed; they wore snappy uniforms that they (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Hotel Planner: Corpus Christi Bayfront. (Submitted on September 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.