HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Masonic Lodge Building
 
Old Masonic Lodge Building Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
1. Old Masonic Lodge Building Marker
Marker on the left side of the front door.
 
Inscription. (Marker to the left of the entrance):
A Bicentennial Commemorative Site
Recognizing America's
200th Year of Liberty
Old Masonic Lodge Building
(Now open to the public)
Used by Trenton Masons
continuously since 1793.

(Marker to the right of the entrance):
Old Masonic Temple
Erected 1793
by Trenton Lodge No. 5 F. & A. M.
Restored and Rededicated
1916

 
Erected by Trenton Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 40° 13.148′ N, 74° 46.101′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Barrack Street and Lafayette Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08608, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spirit of Justice (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Elm (within shouting distance of this marker); Zebulon Pike (within shouting distance of this marker); C. Edward Murray (within shouting distance of this marker); James Kerney (within shouting distance of this marker); John Alexander Campbell (within shouting distance of this marker); John E. Curry Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
 
Old Masonic Temple Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
2. Old Masonic Temple Marker
Marker on the right side of the front door.
 

 
Additional comments.
1. Trentonís First Masonic Temple
Following the war, American Freemasonry entered a period of steady growth. In December 1787, at the Second Annual Communication of Grand Lodge, warrants were issued for the formation of two additional New Jersey lodges, of which Trenton Lodge No. 5 was one.

Trenton 5 met in a number of temporary locations throughout the city until March, 1793, when a plot of land on Barrack Street was donated to them by Mark Thompson of Newton, New Jersey. A plan for a building was presented to the Masons, and on August 26, 1793, the cornerstone was laid for Trentonís first Masonic Hall. The two-story stone building was constructed on the southwest corner of West Front and Willow Streets, very near its present location.

In the early 20th century William Fisk Sadler was responsible for establishing the Masonic Historical Association of Trenton. This group was responsible for purchasing, moving and restoring the original 1793 structure for use as a museum. The move and the restoration of the stone building were completed in time for the Annual Communication on April 21, 1915, when the deed for the
 
Old Masonic Lodge front entrance, showing the markers on each side of the door. Photo, Click for full size
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
3. Old Masonic Lodge front entrance, showing the markers on each side of the door.
 
Old Masonic Lodge Building was presented to the Grand Lodge.

From an article published on the Trenton Historic Masonic Temple website, http://www.mercer50.com/.
    — Submitted December 1, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
 
Old Masonic Lodge/Temple Photo, Click for full size
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
4. Old Masonic Lodge/Temple
Now the Trenton Visitor's Center.
 
 
Old Masonic Lodge Building Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, December 29, 2012
5. Old Masonic Lodge Building
 
 
Revolutionary War Musicians at the Old Masonic Lodge Building Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, December 28, 2013
6. Revolutionary War Musicians at the Old Masonic Lodge Building
 
 
New Masonic Temple Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, December 29, 2012
7. New Masonic Temple
The new Masonic Temple is located next to the original one.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,774 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.   3. submitted on December 5, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.   4. submitted on November 28, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.   5. submitted on December 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   6. submitted on December 28, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   7. submitted on December 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 215 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.