Pierates Cruze / Pierates Cruze Gardens
The Pierates Cruze property, once part of the Hilliardsville tract, was a private residence and garden. The property changed hands several times before it was purchased and named by the Osgood family in 1928. The Osgoods transformed the grounds into a magnificent private garden that contained a variety of flowers, shrubs and trees, including many prize-winning camellias and azaleas.
Pierates Cruze Gardens
The Osgoods opened Pierates Cruze Gardens to the public in 1943. It became a popular tourist attraction in the 1940s and 50s. In 1947, the Massachusetts Horticultural Society awarded Mrs. Osgood the prestigious “Gold Medal” for her development of new varieties of hybrid camellias. After the Osgood’s deaths, the land was sold and subdivided into 13 lots that initially sold for $10,000 each.
Location. 32° 46.734′ N, 79° 52.168′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Pierates Cruze. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alhambra Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Pleasant Academy
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.