“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

Point Plantation / Richmond Plantation

Point Plantation image. Click for full size.
April 16, 2010
1. Point Plantation
Point Plantation
In 1715, John Vanderhorst purchased 540 acres known as the Point for ₤360. So began a long line of ownership by this well-known Colonial family. By 1740, Johnís son Joseph and 29 slaves lived at the Point and operated a successful livestock and timber business. The land remained in the Vanderhorst family until Johnís granddaughter Mary married Joshua Toomer in the 1770s. The couple lived in the house at the Point. Joshua Toomer was an unwavering Patriot during the American Revolution. On one occasion, cavalrymen under British Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton came to the Point in search of Joshua. When they could not find him, the British soldiers carried off cattle, horses, and provisions. In 1997, archaeologists excavated the ruins of the Point, located at the end of North James Gregarie Road, and recovered hundreds of artifacts associated with the Toomer family.

Richmond Plantation
Richmond Plantation on Toomer Creek was owned by William Vanderhorst. After the death of his first wife Mary, Joshua Toomer married Williamís daughter Sabina in 1784. Together, they acquired Richmond Plantation which they combined with the Point. In 1796, the property passed to their son Anthony V. Toomer, a wealthy physician and planter. A. V. Toomer owned other Christ Church Parish plantations and

Richmond Plantation image. Click for full size.
April 16, 2010
2. Richmond Plantation
homes in Charleston and Rhode Island. Richmond and the Point were working plantations rather than family manors. The plantations produced bricks, oak firewood, rice, and livestock. Richmond and the Point remained in the Toomer family until 1856. In 1997, archaeologists studied the ruins of Richmond Plantation that were located in this park. Artifacts and architectural features provided insight into life at this nineteenth century plantation.
Erected 2009.
Location. 32° 54.264′ N, 79° 47.598′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Henniretta Hartford Road and Gray Marsh Road on Henniretta Hartford Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29466, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wando Pottery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Phillips Community (approx. 1.8 miles away); Thomas Lynch at Rivertowne (approx. 2.6 miles away); Brickyard Plantation (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sweetgrass Baskets (approx. 3.5 miles away); Shell Rings and Shell Middens (approx. 3.6 miles away); Confederate Lines (approx. 4.3 miles away); Snee Farm (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Marker image. Click for full size.
October 6, 2010
3. Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement