Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Richard Chute Square
When the city of Minneapolis acquired the land for a park in 1903, it was named in honor of businessman Richard Chute, an early University of Minnesota regent and a director of the St. Anthony Waterpower Company.
The Ard Godfrey House, which was owned by the Chute family from 1880 until its purchase by the Hennepin County Territorial Pioneers Association in 1905, was moved to Chute Square in 1909. The building was operated as a museum by the Pioneers Association until 1943. Restored and furnished by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis, the Godfrey House was reopened to the public in 1979. The kitchen wing, demolished in 1908, was rebuilt in 1985 with funds raised by Woman's Club members and a generous grant from Boisclair Corporation.
Erected 1985 by members of the Chute family.
Location. 44° 59.218′ N, 93° 15.359′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is at the intersection of Bank Street Southeast and Ortman Click for map. Marker is in Richard Chute Square Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 University Avenue Southeast, Minneapolis MN 55414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ard Godfrey House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Symbols on the Skyline (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eliza Winston (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whirlpool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph N. Nicollet (approx. ¼ mile away); Nicollet Island Businesses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pillsbury A Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Minneapolis.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 628 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.