HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Pinson in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pinson, Alabama
 
Pinson, Alabama Marker (Side A) Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
1. Pinson, Alabama Marker (Side A)
 
Inscription. Pinson, one of Alabamaís oldest communities, was settled by General Andrew Jacksonís soldiers in the early 1800s, after victory at Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. The community was originally known as Hagoodís Crossroads for settler Zachariah Hagood and his family. It was renamed Mount Pinson, presumably after Pinson, Tennessee, and later called Pinson. Pinsonís first post office was established in 1837. Andrew Jackson Beard, a black American who became a renowned inventor and the first millionaire of Jefferson County, was born near Pinson in 1849. Pinson is home to one of Alabamaís oldest caves, dating back to the Hamilton Period (circa 900); three endangered species of fish, including the Watercress Darter, Rush Darter, and the Vermilion Darter, which is only found in Pinsonís Turkey Creek; and four historical cemeteries pre-dating the Civil War: Red Hill, Cole-Johnson, Marvinís Chapel and Baird-Tatum. Several Civil War veterans are interred in these cemeteries. In 1861, residents from the community volunteered for the Jefferson Warriors and fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Reverse:

Turkey Creek Nature Preserve includes the home site and mill of David Hanby, one of Alabamaís early industrialists and a pioneer in the development of Alabamaís coal industry. Known as the Mount Pinson
 
Pinson, Alabama Marker (Side B) Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
2. Pinson, Alabama Marker (Side B)
 
Ironworks, a small forge and foundry were built in 1863 that supplied horseshoes for Confederate troops during the Civil War. In the 1880s, Alabama By-Products opened Bradford Mines north of Mount Pinson.

During the Great Depression, the Federal Government created the Palmerdale Homesteads, north of Pinson, as part of the Farm Resettlement Act. On March 30, 2004, residents of Pinson, Palmerdale, and several surrounding communities joined together and voted to become the City of Pinson. The first mayor was Hoyt Sanders. The first council members were Dawn Tanner, Joe Cochran, Shane Shelnutt, John Churchwell Jr., and Barbara Clifton. Descendants of Pinsonís founding families continue to reside in Pinson and play a major role in the development of Jefferson County.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Pinson.
 
Location. 33° 41.498′ N, 86° 40.916′ W. Marker is in Pinson, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Main Street east of Center Point Road (U.S. 75), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker located in front of the Pinson City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4410 Main Street, Pinson AL 35126, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Jefferson Warriors (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); Center Point, Alabama (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Clay Community (approx. 4.6 miles away); Wear Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Trussville Furnace (approx. 6.2 miles away); Trussville, Alabama (approx. 6.3 miles away); Confederate Storehouse Burned By Federal Troops (approx. 6.5 miles away); First Baptist Church of Trussville (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Pinson, Alabama Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
3. Pinson, Alabama Marker
 

 
Also see . . .
1. Palmerdale, Alabama: Pictures from the Past. (Submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on endangered animal species of Alabama. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
 
Pinson, Alabama Marker Next To The Pinson City Hall Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
4. Pinson, Alabama Marker Next To The Pinson City Hall
 
 
Main Street Downtown Pinson, Alabama Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
5. Main Street Downtown Pinson, Alabama
 
 
Main Street Downtown Pinson, Alabama Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
6. Main Street Downtown Pinson, Alabama
 
 
Turkey Creek Nature Preserve Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
7. Turkey Creek Nature Preserve
 
 
Turkey Creek Nature Preserve Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
8. Turkey Creek Nature Preserve
 
 
Turkey Creek Falls Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
9. Turkey Creek Falls
 
 
Turkey Creek Falls Photo, Click for full size
By Tim & Renda Carr, March 1, 2009
10. Turkey Creek Falls
 
 
Pinson Movie Theater Photo, Click for full size
circa 1950
11. Pinson Movie Theater
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,603 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   11. submitted on July 30, 2011, by James E Pitts of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 617 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.