Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boonton in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Holmes Library

 
 
Holmes Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
1. Holmes Library Marker
Inscription. Original Greek Revival dwelling built for commercial use 1849. Purchased for residence 1856 by James Holmes, prominent Boonton citizen. Building enlarged and converted to Holmes Library 1893.

National Register of Historic Places • New Jersey Register of Historic Places
 
Erected by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 54.31′ N, 74° 24.66′ W. Marker is in Boonton, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Street (County Route 511) just east of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boonton NJ 07005, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boonton Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris Canal Plane 7 East (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garret Rickards House (about 700 feet away); Dr. John Taylor House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew M. Emery Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Boonton Railroad Station
Holmes Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
2. Holmes Library and Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Boonton Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Boonton Fire Department 100th Anniversary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boonton.
 
Also see . . .  Library History. “Boonton’s first library, financed by subscription, opened in 1890 and in short time, needed larger quarters. Knowing the value of a town library, a leading citizen named James Holmes, willed his house and a sum of money to the people of Boonton upon his death in 1893 for the establishment of this facility. The property was originally purchased from the Iron Company in 1849 by Eliza Scott, and the two story structure built was used for stores. Mr. Holmes had purchased the building in 1856, and converted to a private home in 1870.” (Submitted on November 13, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Holmes Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 1, 2016
3. Holmes Library Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on July 5, 2016.
Paid Advertisement