“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Netcong in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station

Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
1. Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station Marker
Inscription. In 1854 the Morris and Essex Railroad Branch of the greater Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad acquired a 6-acre tract between the Morris Turnpike (now Ledgewood Avenue) and the Stanhope-Flanders Road (now Flanders Road) straddling its newly completed rail line, from the Sussex Iron Company. The railroad had completed what was referred to as the Stanhope Station or Stanhope-Netcong Station within this property on the North side of the rail line by 1855. The presence of this railroad stimulated the town of Netcong’s industrial potential as once evidenced by the freight sidings for service to the Singer Foundry, Netcong Lumber and the freight station, as well as passenger activities and functions. This one-and-a-half story frame structure was eventually renamed Netcong Station in 1902 due to the expansion and growth of the town of Netcong.

A new brick Netcong Passenger Station, along with a new rail line, was completed on the opposite (South) side of the main line in 1903, with the older frame building serving solely as a freight station. This new station had, for a time, two lines of tracks running on either side of it. The old freight station was torn down around 1910 and replaced with a modest freight building sited to the west of the Netcong Passenger Station. The later 1910 freight house and adjoining freight rails
Netcong Station image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2010
2. Netcong Station
were eventually removed in 1981. The 1903 Netcong Passenger Station remains in use today as part of the NJ Transit rail system.
Location. 40° 53.833′ N, 74° 42.4′ W. Marker is in Netcong, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 46) and Main Street on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Netcong NJ 07857, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hugh Allen Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Lake Musconetcong (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stanhope, NJ (approx. 0.4 miles away); Budd Lake Community (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Morris Canal Inclined Planes (approx. 2.8 miles away); Waterloo: A Transportation Crossroads (approx. 2.8 miles away); National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Morris Canal   1824 – 1924 (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Netcong.
More about this marker. The marker has a reproduction of a colorized postcard to the left of the text. The caption reads “Painting of Netcong Station, early 1900’s, showing the south face of the station, looking northeast. (From the collection of Dave Rutan).”

At the bottom left is a photograph of the station captioned “Viewed from the north side at Netcong, the Sussex Branch and a siding occupy the foreground. The Old Road mainline (originally the eastbound main) is out of view behind the station. (Southwestern view, November 26, 1961 - William T. Greenberg, Jr.).”

A map is at the bottom right, captioned “New Jersey Rail Map, circa 1960, detailing the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad (from Rand McNally).”
Regarding Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station. The December 1925 Official Guide of the Railways shows 10 daily Lakawanna Railroad passenger trains in each direction from Netcong to Hoboken, with ferry connections to New York City. They took approximately an hour and an half. Westbound train No. 7, the overnight Western Express, stopped at Netcong at 8:27 PM on its 24½ hour run from Hoboken, New Jersey, to Buffalo, New York. No. 7 carried Pullman sleeper cars that continued to Chicago and a broiler-buffet car that served meals until it was cut off at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.

By May 1944, No. 7, now the Westerner no longer ran through Netcong (and on its more direct route to Buffalo only took 9½ hours), acording to the OGR schedules, but there were 11 passenger trains to and from Hoboken/New York. The same number of trains, now pulled by diesel-electric locomotives, were still running to and from Hoboken on the March 1957 schedules. Today nine New Jersey Transit trains a day run from Netcong to Hoboken.
Also see . . .  Morris and Essex Railroad. Wikipedia entry. “The [Lakawanna Railroad] built the New Jersey Cut-Off, a long low-grade bypass in northwestern New Jersey, opened in 1911 from the M&E at Port Morris west to Slateford Junction just inside Pennsylvania.” (Submitted on November 14, 2010.) 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 808 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Long shot of the marker • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement