HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
near Warwick in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Harmony United Methodist Church
 
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
1. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker
 
Inscription. This congregation was organized in 1818 by members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On March 20, 1819, trustees Purnal Johnson, Burton Johnson, William Hanzor, John Cornish, and Mitchell Johnson, purchased one half acre of land in Indian River Hundred on which to erect a Meeting House. Under the leadership of Reverend Thomas H Johnson, the church was officially incorporated as Harmony Methodist Episcopal Church on April 21, 1875. A new house of worship was erected in 1891 on land adjacent to Harmony Cemetery. The cemetery lot was formally purchase from William T. Hurdle on June 4, 1915. A wooded area near the church was used for outdoor services, then known as “bush meetings.” On February 13, 1939, a new church site was purchase from Oscar W. and Winona J. Wright by trustees Harvey W. Burton, Wilbur Harmon, Charles Davis, Samuel H, Jackson, Albert Lee Hall, Horace E. Wright, LeRoy Shelton, John W Thompson, and Dorsey E. Johnson. Construction of the present Harmony United Methodist Church began in 1940. The cornerstone was laid on September 13, 1942, and the opening service was held on April 18, 1943.
 
Erected 2004 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-187.)
 
Location. 38° 36.358′ N, 75° 
 
Harmony United Methodist Church and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
2. Harmony United Methodist Church and Marker
 
13.119′ W. Marker is in near Warwick, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on John J. Williams Highway (Delaware Route 24), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between Tecumseh Pass and County Road 313. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27270 John J. Williams Highway, Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ancient Paths (approx. one mile away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 3.5 miles away); Indian River Hundred (approx. 4 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); The Ableman Homestead (approx. 4.1 miles away); Home of John J. Williams (approx. 4.1 miles away); Saint Mark's Episcopal Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Prince George's Chapel (approx. 4.1 miles away).
 
Regarding Harmony United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Harmony Church ** (added 1979 - Building - #79003308)
Period of Significance: 1875-1899
Historic Function: Religion
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
 
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking west along John J. Williams Highway (State Route 24) Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
3. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking west along John J. Williams Highway (State Route 24)
 
 
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking east Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
4. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking east
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 583 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 188 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.