Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Great Lakes in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Origins of the Base / Construction

 
 
Origins of the Base Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
1. Origins of the Base Marker
Inscription. (Left Side):
Origins of the Base
During the 1898 Spanish-American War, the Navy recognized that over half of the American sailors in that war had come from the Midwest. Congressman Foss of Illinois suggested that in the future, it might be advisable to train recruits from a Midwest facility. The Naval Appropriation Act of July 1, 1902 included a recommendation to Congress of a suitable site for a 1,500 capacity Naval Training Station to be located on the Great Lakes. Lake Bluff, Illinois with its excellent rail connections, harbor possibilities, picturesque setting, and southern lake location was the favored site. With the gift of the land to the Government by local citizens through private fund-raising, President Theodore Roosevelt announced that he had approved the board’s report and authorized establishment of the station at Lake Bluff on November 24, 1904.

(Left Side):
Construction
Navy Captain Albert Ross, USN, was chosen to be the first Commandant of the Naval Station, and Civil Engineer Corps Captain George A. McKay, USN, was appointed as engineer for the original construction of the Great Lakes Naval Training station. 1905 to 1911 were spent designing and building the station at Great Lakes. Jarvis Hunt, a Prominent Chicago architect, was commissioned for the project. The natural
Origins of the Base Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
2. Origins of the Base Marker
Base blueprint on marker.
contours of the site were used to divide the station into four areas: the Main Training camp, Receiving Camp, Naval Hospital, and Marine Barracks/Guard House. Great Lakes Naval Training Station was officially dedicated on October 28, 1911, with President William Howard Taft and Secretary of the Navy George Von. L. Mayer in attendance for the graduation of the first company of recruits.
 
Erected by Naval Station Great Lakes.
 
Location. 42° 18.744′ N, 87° 50.411′ W. Marker is in Great Lakes, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on Farragut Avenue near Sampson Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in the Historic District of Naval Station Great Lakes. Marker is in this post office area: Great Lakes IL 60088, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Golden Thirteen (here, next to this marker); Black and White (here, next to this marker); The First Recruit / Original Historic Structures (a few steps from this marker); World War I / Between the Wars (a few steps from this marker); Building Five (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Architectural Design
Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Construction Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Lakes Athletics (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Great Lakes.
 
Also see . . .
1. Naval Station Great Lakes. (Submitted on November 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Great Lakes Naval Museum. (Submitted on November 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Great Lakes Naval Training Station. (Submitted on November 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. EducationWar, Spanish-AmericanWaterways & Vessels
 
Photo on Origins of the Base Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
4. Photo on Origins of the Base Marker
President Theodore Roosevelt
Photo on Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
5. Photo on Construction Marker
[Caption reads] Building 3 Under Construction
Photo on Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
6. Photo on Construction Marker
[Caption reads] July 1, 1911 Commissioning
Photo on Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
7. Photo on Construction Marker
[Caption reads] President William Howard Taft and Rear Admiral Albert Ross at the October 8, 1911 Dedication
Origins of the Base Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
8. Origins of the Base Marker
Origins of the Base Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
9. Origins of the Base Marker
Looking northwest
Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 4, 2010
10. Historic District Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement