El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Oldest Mission in Texas
Re-established here in 1682. It has been named successively: Sacramento de Los Tiguas de Ysleta; Corpus Christi de Los Tiguas De Ysleta (1691); San Antonio de los Tiguas de Ysleta (1744); and Nuestra Senora del Carmen (1874). Present Chapel has walls and bells of 1744 building.
Still ministers to the Tiguas.
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3843.)
Location. 31° 41.493′ N, 106° 19.651′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from South Zaragoza Road south of Alameda Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the Mission grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 South Zaragoza Road, El Paso TX 79907, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Mission and Pueblo in Texas (here, next to this marker); Site Of The First Mission In Texas (here, next to this marker); Alderete-Candelaria House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ysleta Plaza (about 600 feet away); San Antonio de Senecú (approx. 1.5 miles away); Captain Frank Jones (approx. 1.5 miles away); Camino Real (approx. 2.6 miles away); Socorro (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in El Paso.
Also see . . . Ysleta Mission. (Submitted on November 20, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.