Demopolis in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Called “Ecor Blanc” by eighteenth-century French explorers and cartographers.
Named “Chickasaw Gallery” because early Indian inhabitants harassed boats from here.
Landing site of Bonapartist exiles who established the “Vine and Olive Colony” in 1817.
Erected 1971 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 31.221′ N, 87° 50.453′ W. Marker is in Demopolis, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is on West Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is located on the banks of the Tombigbee River behind Bluff Hall and next to The Demopolis Civic Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 North Commissioners Avenue, Demopolis AL 36732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bluff Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple B’Nai Jeshurun (about 700 feet away); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman And (approx. ¼ mile away); Alabama Cattlemen’s Association First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Demopolis Theater District (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Leo’s Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Demopolis.
Categories. • Native Americans • Natural Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 731 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.