“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

Mount Pleasant Waterworks

Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker - Side A image. Click for full size.
November 16, 2010
1. Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker - Side A
Side A
In the early 20th century, Mount Pleasant’s leaders and citizens believed that the town’s rural locale and lack of a quality water supply hindered residential growth and prosperity. The situation changed when the Cooper River Bridge opened as the new north-south gateway, placing the town on the shortest New York to Miami route. Leaders sought to capture the hearts of passersby with modernization that upheld the attractive charms of the past. In 1933, Mayor T. G. McCants initiated plans to build a waterworks system for public convenience and municipal advancement. The project was completed by his successor Mayor W. L. Erckmann. Citizens voted 102 to 0 in favor of securing a Public Works Administration loan for the essential water plant. After navigating a difficult course, a distribution system of wells, mains, storage tanks, fire hydrants, 175 water meters and a pumping station provided

Side B
160,000 gallons of water per day. On October 17, 1935, a dedication was held at Alhambra Park with a dance at the Mount Pleasant Yacht Club. Four years later, waterworks operated at a profit with over 240 customers. A wastewater system was added in 1942 and later, two treatment plants. Captain S. A. Guilds provided astute leadership for over a decade as commission chairman. The first superintendent, C. B. Venning,

Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker - Side B image. Click for full size.
November 16, 2010
2. Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker - Side B
devoted 34 years to creating an efficient, profitable utility. The office started at Guilds Inn on Pitt Street and later moved to the facility on Center Street. In 1990, the commission acquired Bulls Bay Rural Community Water District. Mount Pleasant set an example for coastal communities by building a water system and was the state’s first city to use reverse osmosis treatment. The Operations Center opened in 1997 on Rifle Range Road. This marker commemorates the 75th anniversary of Mount Pleasant Waterworks.
Erected 2010 by Town of Mount Pleasant.
Location. 32° 48.639′ N, 79° 49.949′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from Rifle Range Road just from Royston Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seaside (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rifle Range Road (approx. 1.8 miles away); Vaughn Edward Kee (approx. 2 miles away); Greenhill Community / Greenhill Farming (approx. 2.1 miles away); Slave Community (approx. 2.4 miles away); Snee Farm
Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker image. Click for full size.
November 16, 2010
3. Mount Pleasant Waterworks Marker
(approx. 2.5 miles away); Rice Trunk (approx. 2.5 miles away); Charles Pinckney - Statesman (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement