Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ronkin's Long Room / Ferry Service
Ronkin's Long Room
The crew of the Confederate submarine, H.L. Hunley, commanded by Lt. George Dixon, was temporarily quartered at Ronkinís Long Room, 205 Ferry Street, in early 1864. The building, previously known as Shell Hall, summer home of Charles Pinckney, was used during the Civil War as an armory and barracks.
A ferry service connected Mount Pleasant to Charleston from the wharf at the end of Ferry Street (c. 1847) until the completion of the Cooper River Bridge. Passengers traveled by trolley from Ferry Street east on Pitt Street, across Cove Inlet to Sullivanís Island and across Breach Inlet to the Isle of Palms resort.
Erected 2003 by Town of Mount Pleasant.
Location. 32° 47.067′ N, 79° 52.375′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Pitt Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patjens Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); "Storm of the Century" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Village Confederate Cemetery / Memorial (about 500 feet away); War of 1812 Encampment (about 500 feet away); Friendship A.M.E. Church (about 600 feet away); Darby Building (about 600 feet away); Laing School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.