Demopolis in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Demopolis Methodist Church
first building erected 1840-43 (remodeled 1848) on lot donated by the Rev. A. J. Crawford
two early pastors became bishops: John C. Keener (1843-44) and Holland N. McTyeire (1846)
present building erected 1895-96 B. D. Price of Philadelphia, architect dedicated April 24, 1904, by Bishop W. W. Candler
Erected 1983 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 30.84′ N, 87° 50.182′ W. Marker is in Demopolis, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is on South Strawberry Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Decatur Street, Demopolis AL 36732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Leo’s Catholic Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Demopolis Theater District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alabama Cattlemen’s Association (approx. ¼ mile away); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman And (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. Gaineswood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Whitfield Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Demopolis.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.