Inscription. On this historic ground, Sept. 1, 1858, 700 soldiers under Col Geo. Wright, U.S.A. routed 5,000 allied indians.
December 7, 2003
|1. Battle of Four Lakes Marker|
Four days later, the rallied hostiles were decisively defeated in a running battle. They sued for mercy, and have ever since maintained lasting peace.
Erected 1935 by Spokane County Pioneer Society, Medical Lake Commercial Club, and Four Lakes Grange.
Location. 47° 33.705′ N, 117° 35.778′ W. Marker is in Four Lakes, Washington, in Spokane County. Marker is on S. Electric Ave. near West 1st Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Four Lakes WA 99014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. The Battle of Spokane Plains (approx. 6.1 miles away); Colville - Walla Walla Road (approx. 10 miles away); Camp Washington (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Regarding Battle of Four Lakes. In order to punish the Indians who humiliated and defeated Colonel Steptoe in August 1858, Colonel George Wright led a force of 700 men from Fort Walla Walla into Spokane Indian territory. Wright's troops were equipped with long-range rifles, which enabled them to shoot the Indians from long range. When the allied indians attacked in force on September 1, 1858, their usual hit-and-run tactics were ineffective because of these new guns. Their almost suicidal attacks on the Army column cost the Indians many warriors; the Army lost none.
The "allied indians" referred to on the marker was a force made up of indians from the Coeur d'Alene, Palouse, and Spokane Tribes.
Also see . . .
1. U.S. Army defeats Native Americans at Battle of Four Lakes on September 1, 1858. An essay hosted on HistoryLink.org, the online encyclopedia of Washington State. (Submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Four Lakes and Spokane Plains Battles. A brief, but detailed history of the Battle of Four Lakes. (Submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,401 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |