“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rancho Cucamonga in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Cucamonga Winery

Cucamonga Winery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Beeman, May 28, 2006
1. Cucamonga Winery Marker
Inscription. Established by Tiburcio Tapia, to whom the Cucamonga Rancho was granted March 3, 1839 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado of Mexico.
Erected 1950 by the Ontario Parlor No 251 Native Daughters of the Golden West, Los Ranchos Parlor No. 283 Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 490.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 6.401′ N, 117° 36.642′ W. Marker is in Rancho Cucamonga, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Foothill Boulevard (Route 66) and Vineyard Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Foothill Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8916 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga CA 91730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tapia Adobe Site (a few steps from this marker); Red Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Bear Gulch (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cucamonga Service Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rancho Cucamonga.
Regarding Cucamonga Winery. (Text
From Parking Lot image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Beeman, May 28, 2006
2. From Parking Lot
on the sign in Photo No. 3)

The Thomas Winery . . . More than a century of service.

This was California's oldest commercial winery. The winery's two 1400 gallon oak aging casks were not "coopered" locally, but were carried "around the Horn" on a clipper ship!

Missionaries brought grape vines to Mexico and California in the late 1700s to provide sacramental wines. In fact, the Mission San Gabriel vineyard provided the Black Mission Grape cuttings used by Tapia to establish his Mother Vineyard in 1839: twelve rows each with forty-seven plants. Six years later, his 13,000-acre property contained more than 3400 vines.

Thomas Vineyard's grape wines were complemented by a wide variety of other fruit base wines including cherry, red currant, raspberry, blackberry, loganberry, apple (hard cider) and apricot. At its peak, the winery's extensive offerings were enjoyed both by local residents and Route 66 travelers.
Also see . . .
1. About the Thomas Winery. Tubercio Tapia's original winery is now known as the Thomas Winery. (Submitted on May 29, 2006.) 

2. History of Rancho Cucamonga. Tubercio Tapia, soldier, smuggler, and politician, is mentioned in this history. (Submitted on May 29, 2006.) 
Categories. LandmarksSettlements & Settlers
Interpretative Sign image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Beeman, May 28, 2006
3. Interpretative Sign
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. This page has been viewed 3,315 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement