Inscription. The 2nd & 11th Mississippi Infantry Regt’s. (C.S.A.) camped here from Oct 1861 to Mar 1862. They named their camp in observance of the 6th North Carolina’s Camp Fisher (1 Mile to the NW). The 6th N.C. was the first Reg’t. to establish quarters in the Montclair area and named the site in honor of their fallen commander Col. Charles F. Fisher (KIA at ‘First Manassas’). The extended camps formed part of a Confederate Division in the Dumfries area (Ref. 1861–62 Blockade of the Potomac River).
By Robert H. C. Alton, October 27, 2007
|1. Camp Fisher II - Civil War Campsite Marker|
Erected 2007 by the MPOA History Comm. Donations from Robert & Crystal Alton.
Location. 38° 36.259′ N, 77° 20.247′ W. Marker is near Dumfries, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Waterway Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. From Interstate 95, Take Exit 151A to Route 234 North (Manassas). Travel Roughly 3 miles, toward the Montclair Community on the right. Turn Right onto Country Club Drive. Make the next right onto Waterway Drive. The sign is ¼ mi. ahead on the left, near the Golf Course. Marker is in this post office area: Dumfries VA 22025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Troop Movements and Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Henderson (approx. half a mile away); Rippon Lodge (approx. half a mile away); Williams Ordinary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Potomac Path (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cabin Branch Pyrite Mine (approx. 0.6 miles away); Weems Botts Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named “Camp Fisher” Civil War Campsite (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dumfries.
By Kevin W., January 16, 2008
|2. “Camp Fisher” Civil War Campsite Marker|
More about this marker. Special Thanks to Northern Virginia Relic Hunters Howard Crouch, Jimmy Wilson, and Eddie Wilder. Without their assistance this would not have been possible.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. There are two Camp Fisher Plaques in the Montclair community, 1 mile apart. One is for the 6th NC and the other for the 2nd/11th MS.
Also see . . . Discovering the 2nd & 11th Mississippi Regiments of the Civil War’s “Camp Fisher”. This site tells the ‘back story’ of how this Civil War site was discovered back in the late 1960’s. (Submitted on December 17, 2007, by William A Riski of Montclair, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Mississippi Infantry in Northern Virginia, Civil War
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by Robert H. C. Alton of Dumfries, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,085 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Robert H. C. Alton of Dumfries, Virginia. 2. submitted on January 20, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |