“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hunt in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Hunt Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, November 20, 2010
1. Hunt Marker
Inscription. Farmers and Ranchers settled along the North and South forks of the Guadalupe River in the late 1850s, forming the Japonica and Pebble Communities. In 1912 Alva and Lizzie Joy bought land at the confluence and named the central settlement that developed there in honor of Robert Hunt, the prior landowner. Alva Joy established a post office in 1913, and an independent school district formed in the 1930s. By the 1930s the area began attracting artist, including the acclaimed E.M. Schiwetz. During the next decades, Hunt became a center for summer camps, exotic game ranches, and religious and corporate retreat facilities, but retained its identity as a small rural community.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 4.211′ N, 99° 19.971′ W. Marker is in Hunt, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Hwy 39 just east of Hunt, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hunt TX 78024, United States of America.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 90 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement