Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kent Plantation House

 
 
Kent Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
1. Kent Plantation House Marker
Inscription. Kent House, the oldest known standing structure in Rapides Parish, was built by Pierre Baillio, completed in 1800. Baillio constructed the house on land received through a Spanish land grant circa 1794.
 
Erected by In Memory of Mrs. Robert H. Bolton, President, 1968-70, Chairman, 1970-72.
 
Location. 31° 18.244′ N, 92° 28.965′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Bayou Rapides Road (State Highway 496) west of North MacArthur Drive (U.S. 71), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3601 Bayou Rapides Road, Alexandria LA 71303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexandria's Oldest Hospital (approx. 2.1 miles away); St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex (approx. 2.1 miles away); Emmanuel Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Guaranty Eagles (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Hotel Bentley (approx. 2.3 miles away); Alexandria Library (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Red River Campaign (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bailey's Dam (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Also see . . .  Kent Plantation House.
Kent Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2. Kent Plantation House Marker
Looking west along Bayou Rapides Road.
(Submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
3. Kent Plantation House
Back of the house.
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
4. Kent Plantation House
Back of the house showing several of the buildings located on the property. On the far right is the corner of the visitor center.
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
5. Kent Plantation House
Front of the house seen from the road.
Kent Plantation House in 1968 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1968
6. Kent Plantation House in 1968
Kent Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
7. Kent Plantation House Marker
Located near the visitor center, this plaque provides additional information about the Kent House.

Kent Plantation House
Pierre Baillio, son of a French soldier at the fort in Natchitoches, and his wife, Magdelaine Lacour, had this raised Creole house built on a 1795 Spanish land grant. One of only four such homes remaining in Louisiana built, not as a cottage, but a substantial house from the outset, it was completed in 1800. Robert and Mary Hynson, the second owners, added its distinctive Greek Revival pavilions in the 1840s. They also gave the property the name Kent Plantation, for Mr. Hynsonís birthplace in Kent County, Maryland.

Kent House survived the devastation of Alexandria and much of the Red River countryside during the Civil War. Thanks to the hard work of a community group, The Friends of Kent House, it survived a 1963 demolition plan as well, by being moved two blocks to its present site for restoration. In 1971 Kent House took its place on the National Register of Historic Places, and opened to the public in 1975. With its complex of typical dependencies, the site – still part of the original Baillio plantation – now depicts the history of central Louisiana from 1795 through 1855.
Kent Plantation House NRHP plaque image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
8. Kent Plantation House NRHP plaque
Located on the ground floor near the back of the house.
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
9. Kent Plantation House
One of the several buildings located on the property.
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
10. Kent Plantation House
Another of the buildings used by the staff to illustrate plantation life.
Kent Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
11. Kent Plantation House
This building houses the visitor center/gift shop. This should be your first and last stop when visiting the Kent Plantation House. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Baillio family gravemarkers image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
12. Baillio family gravemarkers
A small plot with grave markers of various family members. It is my understanding that these were relocated from a small family cemetery for protection and that the fence is a portion of the original fence from the cemetery. Two of the markers are for War of 1812 and American Civil War veterans.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017.
Paid Advertisement