Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Emmanuel Baptist Church

 
 
Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
1. Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. The Alexandria and Pineville Baptist Church was organized in Pineville, Louisiana, on September 6, 1881, with twelve charter members. The name of the Church was changed to Emmanuel Baptist Church on March 30, 1892. In 1897, a wooden Sanctuary at Fourth and Jackson Streets in Alexandria was erected. A brick Education Building was completed in 1920. On September 10, 1950, the present brick Sanctuary was dedicated. In 1960, the Education Building was renovated and expanded educational facilities were erected behind the Sanctuary. The Bolton Chapel was dedicated on January 1, 1961. On January 23, 1977, the Activities Building was dedicated. The Sculpture, "Angel", was dedicated on February 22, 1981. The Church has since acquired all the property in the remainder of the two-block area for future expansion.
 
Erected 1992 by Robert H. Bolton.
 
Location. 31° 18.697′ N, 92° 26.818′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Jackson Street west of 4th Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Jackson Street, Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hotel Bentley (about 500 feet away, measured
Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2. Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker
in a direct line); St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex (about 500 feet away); The Guaranty Eagles (about 600 feet away); Louisiana Maneuvers (about 600 feet away); Thomas Courtland Manning (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexandria (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rapides Parish Governors (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post-Civil War Alexandria (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia - Emmanuel Baptist Church. (Submitted on November 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
3. Emmanuel Baptist Church Marker
Emmanuel Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
4. Emmanuel Baptist Church
Sanctuary
Emmanuel Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
5. Emmanuel Baptist Church
Emmanuel Baptist Church NRHP plaque image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
6. Emmanuel Baptist Church NRHP plaque
"Angel" image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
7. "Angel"
Inspired by Elizabeth McLundie Bolton, Donor, 1981, Lin Emery, Sculptor
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017.
Paid Advertisement