Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Young Saddlery Company Addition

Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Site 23

 
 
Young Saddlery Company Addition Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
1. Young Saddlery Company Addition Marker
Inscription.

This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places


Designed by
Tharinger & Bruecker in 1924
Tour Site 23
1896

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward. (Marker Number 23.)
 
Location. 43° 1.898′ N, 87° 54.515′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on Erie Street near Menomonee Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 233-249 East Erie Street, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pabst Brewing Company Saloon & Boarding House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sinking of the Lady Elgin (within shouting distance of this marker); Saloon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15 (about 300 feet away); Milwaukee Terminal Building (about 300 feet away); Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co. (about 300 feet away); Cohen Brothers Manufacturing Company, Clothiers (about 400 feet away); W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Young Saddlery Company Addition.
Young Saddlery Company Addition & Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
2. Young Saddlery Company Addition & Marker
In 1894, Young Saddlery Co., a manufacturer and wholesaler of saddles and leather, contracted to construct this building. In 1909 they claimed to be one of the state's largest saddlery houses, enjoying international and domestic trade. In 1924, Architects Tharinger & Bruecker designed the four story loft which was added to the north. Renamed The Saddlery in 1996, extensive remodeling has taken place, including development of the Third Ward's first Riverwalk section. The Milwaukee Ale House occupies the first floor with offices on the upper levels.

[From the Historic Walking Tour brochure]
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Third Ward. (Submitted on November 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Brochure. (Submitted on November 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 405 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement