Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Templeton in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bethel Lutheran Church

Historic Templeton

 
 
Bethel Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
1. Bethel Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. On July 27th, 1887, when Templeton was less than one year old, the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethel Church, now called Bethel Lutheran was born. It was organized by Dr. Jelleen of San Francisco with 20 charter members.

The church building was completed in the fall of 1891. The church building was completed in the fall of 1891. The church bell was added in 1906. The stained glass windows are a more recent addition, being completed in 1986. This building is believed to be the oldest Lutheran Church in Southern California in continuous use.

The power of Godís love continues to reach out to all who are open to become part of the growing family of Godís people.
 
Location. 35° 33.085′ N, 120° 42.311′ W. Marker is in Templeton, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is on Crocker Street near 3rd Street. Click for map. The church building sits on the corner of Crocker and 3rd Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Crocker Street, Templeton CA 93465, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Museum Property / Horstman House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Templeton Carriage Works (about 700 feet away); In Memoriam
Bethel Lutheran Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
2. Bethel Lutheran Church and Marker
Marker is visible to the left of the entrance doors.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ľ mile away); Chumash and Salinan Nations Village Site (approx. 4.5 miles away); Carlton Hotel (approx. 4.7 miles away); Atascadero Administration Building (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sunken Gardens (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Templeton.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located at the entrance to the church on Crocker Street, however the mailing address of the church is 295 Old County Road, which is the street behind the church. Parking is accessible from Old County Road.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Templetonís Bethel Lutheran Church. Organized in August Johnsonís home on July 27, 1887. Rev. J. Telleen presided and Mr. J. A. Levin acted as secretary. Seven men, five women, and eight children were present at the meeting. (Submitted on November 29, 2010.) 

2. Templeton Historical Museum. History of the town with photos and additional information. (Submitted on November 29, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Bethel Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
3. Bethel Lutheran Church
North Side of the Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
4. North Side of the Church Building
South Side of the Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
5. South Side of the Church Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement