Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Phoenix Knitting Works

Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Site 54

 
 
Phoenix Knitting Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
1. Phoenix Knitting Works Marker
Inscription.

This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places


Designed by
Uehling & Linde
Tour Site 54
1902

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward. (Marker Number 54.)
 
Location. 43° 1.954′ N, 87° 54.415′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of Chicago Street and Broadway, on the right when traveling east on Chicago Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 East Chicago Street, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Candy Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Ward Fire (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); American Wholesale Grocery Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Isabella Ryder Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Standard Bedding Co. (within shouting
Former Phoenix Knitting Works image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
2. Former Phoenix Knitting Works
distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Plant #3 (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Patek Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Phoenix Knitting Works. In 1902, architects Uehling and Linde designed the Phoenix Knitting Works building in the Romanesque Revival style. This was one of six plants that housed the very productive hosiery company. Beck Carton Corp. manufactured and shipped paper boxes from 1959 to 2007. Restoration of the building was completed in 1994. The building was purchased and renovated by architects LaMacchia Group in 2007.

[From the Historic Walking Tour brochure]
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Third Ward. (Submitted on November 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Brochure. (Submitted on November 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement