Templeton in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Presbyterian Church
1887 – 1987
—Historic Templeton —
Regular services began in Templeton February 6, 1887. Three months later on May 8, 1887, the First Presbyterian Church was organized by the Presbytery of San Jose with the Reverend Francis H. Robinson installed as Pastor. In 1907 the church was transferred to the Presbytery of Santa Barbara.
The West Coast Land Company gave the money for purchase of this property for the church. The original structure, built in 1888 entirely of redwood, is in an architectural style of the period. The entire cost, including the lot was $2,500.
Location. 35° 32.912′ N, 120° 42.434′ W. Marker is in Templeton, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is on 6th Street near Crocker Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is mounted to the right of the entrance door on 6th Street. Church is located on the corner of 6th Street and Crocker Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 6th Street, Templeton CA 93465, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memoriam (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Templeton Carriage Works (about 700 feet away); Museum Property / Horstman House Bethel Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Carlton Hotel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Atascadero Administration Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sunken Gardens (approx. 4.7 miles away); Chumash and Salinan Nations Village Site (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Templeton.
Also see . . . Templeton Historical Museum Society. History of Templeton with photos and additional information. (Submitted on November 29, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.