Brass Ball Corners
The trail through Brass Ball Corners started at Lake Michigan and went west through Lake Geneva to Janesville. Farmers and merchants frequented the trail, hauling grain, furs and lead to the Port of Kenosha.
In 1842, farmer Seth Huntoon recognized a growing need for a place where travelers could rest. He built an inn on the northwest corner of a busy junction and then hung a wooden ball gilded in gold at the intersection. Because of its likeness to brass, the intersection came to be known as Brass Ball Corners.
Over time the corners grew, as a school, post office, church, shoemaker, and several homes were built at the corner. The community eventually became the Village of Paddock Lake. Today, a replica brass ball hangs nearby.
Erected 2005 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 503.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 34.076′ N, 88° 6.957′ W. Marker is in Salem, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is at the intersection of 75th Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schaefer Mammoth Site (approx. 7.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 8 miles away); Cordelia A.P. Harvey (approx. 9 miles away); The Name “Wisconsin” (approx. 9.1 miles away); Mormons in Early Wisconsin (approx. 11.4 miles away); a different marker also named Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 11.4 miles away); Yorkville #4 School (approx. 12.8 miles away); The Mother Rudd Barn (approx. 16.8 miles away in Illinois).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,692 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.