Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church

 
 
St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
1. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. With expansion of settlement away from coastal areas in the early 18th century, there was a growing need for houses of worship to be located nearer to the homes of the settlers. In the spring of 1728, a frame chapel was constructed approximately two and one half miles west of here. The effort was led by Reverend William Becket, a Church of England missionary, who reported that the building was located “in the forest of Sussex” and was named for St. John the Baptist. Despite attempts to sustain it, the declining condition of the structure, an insufficient number of clergy, and the economic and political turmoil of the times, resulted in the abandonment of the old church around 1800.
After sporadic efforts to revive the congregation, the church was formally re-established in 1867. The present building was completed in 1877, and consecrated by Bishop Alfred Lee in June of that year. It was extensively remodeled in 1936, when a veneer of brick was added to the exterior. The adjoining Parish House was completed in 1941. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-156.)
 
Location. 38° 46.521′ 
St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
2. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church and Marker
N, 75° 18.677′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Federal Street (Delaware Route 5), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Federal Street, Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goshen United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (about 400 feet away); Governor Joseph Maull Carey (about 400 feet away); Governor James Ponder (about 400 feet away); Goshen Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Samuel Paynter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milton.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
3. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church
St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church Marker at 307 Federal Street looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
4. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church Marker at 307 Federal Street looking north
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement