Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Milford

 
 
Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Milford Marker
Inscription. Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent County, new town in Sussex County. Home of Governors Rogers, Tharp, Causey, Burton, and Watson. (Marker Number SC-14.)
 
Location. 38° 54.001′ N, 75° 26.391′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on U.S. 113 just from Shawnee Road (Delaware Route 36). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. 0.9 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. one mile away); Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. one mile away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. one mile away); The Towers (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joseph Oliver (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milford.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Milford image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Milford
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement