HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Ellendale in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ellendale's Railroad Square
 
Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker
 
Inscription. Ellendale’s Railroad Square was a major rail junction and a beehive of economic activity in Sussex County. The first section of the Junction and Breakwater Railroad from Harrington to Milford was completed in 1859. In March 1860, the Company’s Survey Team, consisting of T.F. Tilghman as chief engineer, 1 surveyor, 1 rodman, 2 chainmen and 4 axemen, worked south through forest and farmland from Milford to Georgetown. This portion of the tracks would parallel the Federalist-era “Old State Road.” Construction was delayed by the Civil War and did not begin until 1867. By 1869 the line was completed through Ellendale and Georgetown to Lewes. It was extended from there to Rehoboth in 1878. There were 14 stations and regular passenger, mail, and freight service on the 44-mile line from Harrington to Rehoboth. Through its junctions, the J. & B. was a part of the first rail network to serve all three peninsular states – Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. In the 1890s the Queen Anne’s Railroad was built from Queenstown on Chesapeake Bay through Ellendale to Milton and Lewes on Delaware Bay. Connections were made with steamboats crossing the Chesapeake to Baltimore and the Delaware to Cape May. Around this square and the rail siding to the north were a watch box, pump house, water tower, 2 stations, stores, a cannery, the Ellendale
 
Ellendale's Railroad Square Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Ellendale's Railroad Square
 
Excelsior Company, and the R. J. Clendaniel Sawmill. In 1916 the DuPont Boulevard, now US 113, was built a mile to the west. With the improvement of roadways and their increasing use, the “golden days” of the railroad were over.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-184.)
 
Location. 38° 48.413′ N, 75° 25.372′ W. Marker is in Ellendale, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on E. Railroad Avenue just from Main Street (Delaware Road 16), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellendale DE 19941, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Ellendale (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milton (approx. 5.9 miles away); Abbott's Mill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Carey Storehouse (approx. 6.2 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull (approx. 6.3 miles away); Milton Museum (approx. 6.3 miles away); Governor Samuel Paynter (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
Tracks running through town. Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
3. Tracks running through town.
 
 
Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker, left, along Main Street, State Road 16 Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
4. Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker, left, along Main Street, State Road 16
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 411 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on October 22, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 188 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.