“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)


Seaford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Seaford Marker
Inscription. Town laid out, 1799. Then called “Hooper’s Landing.” First incorporated 1865. Seaford Academy located here from 1819 until some time before Civil War. Rev. Leonidas Polk, later Episcopal Bishop and Major General in Confederate Army was student at Academy. Home of William H. Ross, thirty-seventh Governor of Delaware.
Erected 1966 by Public Archives Commission. (Marker Number S-5.)
Location. 38° 38.923′ N, 75° 35.62′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 13 and Middleford Road on U.S. 13. Click for map. Marker is in Popeye's parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seaford Hundred (approx. 0.8 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 0.9 miles away); Macedonia A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 54 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement