Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pilot Town

 
 
Pilot Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Pilot Town Marker
Inscription. Pilot Town is the section of the Hamlet of Concord where many free black families have lived in harmony with the white families since around 1765. It was so named for the many Negro pilots who lived in the area and piloted vessels down the Nanticoke River to Chesapeake Bay. Two of the best known were Cann Laws and George Laws. (Marker Number SC-66.)
 
Location. 38° 38.473′ N, 75° 33.684′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Church Road just from Henry Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Macedonia A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Seaford (approx. 1.8 miles away); Seaford Hundred (approx. 2.6 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 2.6 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
 
Categories. African AmericansColonial EraWaterways & Vessels
 
View of area near marker. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. View of area near marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement