Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hornitos in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Indian Gulch

Established 1849

 
 
Indian Gulch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 8, 2010
1. Indian Gulch Marker
Inscription. Indian Gulch was one of the earliest settlements in Mariposa County. Originally called Santa Cruz. The town adapted the new name when the post office opened as another Santa Cruz already existed. James Morton was the first postmaster. During its heyday, Indian Gulch had several hundred residents. The Catholic Church, school, hotels and saloons flourished. J. G. J. Moray, a Frenchman, opened the first mercantile store, The French Company. The later notorious Joaquin Murietta was employed here. Another prominent merchant, Antonio Chichizola, later moved to San Francisco and became the first president of the Bank of Italy, now the Bank of America. Andrew Cathay settled here in 1852. before starting the farming community of Cathey's Valley. The last descendent of pioneer family, Angie Solari, died-1980.
 
Erected 1995 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 26.333′ N, 120° 11.817′ W. Marker is in Hornitos, California, in Mariposa County. Marker is on Indian Gulch Extension 0.2 miles south of Indian Gulch Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. About 4 miles south of Hornitos on Indian
Indian Gulch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 8, 2010
2. Indian Gulch Marker
An Indian grinding rock is set into the framework around the monument stone. Just to the right of the marker is another stack of stones that marks the location of the Holy Cross Catholic Church that was moved to the Mariposa Museum and History Center in 1973.
Gulch Extension, just off of Indian Gulch Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: Indian Gulch Extension, Hornitos CA 95325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hornitos Masonic Hall No. 98 (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hornitos Masonic Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); D. Ghirardelli & Co. (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hornitos (approx. 4.9 miles away); Old Wells Fargo Office (approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Hornitos (approx. 5 miles away); a different marker also named Hornitos (approx. 5 miles away); St Catherine Catholic Church (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hornitos.
 
More about this marker. Marker sits just outside the Santa Cruz Cemetery. The last reamining building sits down the road from the cemetery.
 
Also see . . .  Indian Gulch - A Ghost Town. Additional information and photos on Indian Gulch. (Submitted on December 3, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Holy Cross Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa bef 1973
3. Holy Cross Catholic Church
The Holy Cross Catholic Church served the town of Indian Gulch until the town members drifted away. An attempt was made to save the church and it was moved to the Mariposa Museum and History Center in 1973. A fire in the 1980s destroyed the church that so many had tried to save.
Santa Cruz Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 8, 2010
4. Santa Cruz Cemetery
The pioneer cemetery in Indian Gulch.
Holy Cross Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 8, 2010
5. Holy Cross Catholic Church Marker
Marker sits behind the Indian Gulch marker in the Santa Cruz cemetery.
Site of
Holy Cross
Catholic Church

Built in 1885 and moved
to the Historic Center
In Mariposa in 1979.
Solari Store, Indian Gulch image. Click for full size.
unknown, from a flyer on Indian Gulch, circa 1930
6. Solari Store, Indian Gulch
The Solari Store as it looked in the 1930's, one of two structures remaining in what was once a vibrant town.
Solari Store, Indian Gulch, 2010 image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, October 8, 2010
7. Solari Store, Indian Gulch, 2010
The building that was the Solari Store is still standing and is recognizable from the 1930's photo. The original stucture is holding up well, but the add-on to the left has been decaying much quicker than the rest of the building. The small building to the far left in the 1930's picture is completely gone.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement