Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 5.036′ N, 89° 22.75′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gorham Street and North Livingston Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gorham Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 752 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adolf H. Kayser House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Collins House (about 500 feet away); Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence Irene and Robert Connor Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); City Horse Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Badger State Shoe Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bernard - Hoover Boat House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Leitch House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The superb William and Jane Leitch house is one of Madison's most important nineteenth century buildings and our best example of the mid-19th century Gothic revival style. William Leitch was born in England, came to New York in 1829 and moved to Madison in 1858, having written ahead to get construction started on his family's new house. Madison sandstone was used for the walls, slates covered the roof and woodwork was carved in lacy medieval designs. The house cost almost $14,000 to build, in a day when a good frame house could be built for $500.
"Leitch, a merchant, was elected Mayor of Madison in 1862, 1863 and 1864. The next owners were Carolyn and M. Ransom Doyon, Doyon serving as Mayor in 1888 and 1889. The Doyons were followed by Bella and Nils Haugen, a lawyer and prominent figure
The Leitch House was placed on the National Register for Historic Places on July 18, 1975.
Also see . . .
1. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the Leitch House (pdf).
2. Livingston Inn. The current occupant of the Leitch House.
Additional keywords. Architecture
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 783 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.