Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Redeemer Catholic Church

1865-1869

 
 
Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 26, 2010
1. Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. This is the first parish organized by German Catholics and is the second oldest Catholic church in Madison. This church replaces the original brick structure built on this site in 1857 by the 80 founding families The simple Romanesque Revival structure was designed by architect John Nader and built of native sandstone. The contractor, James Livesey, also built Bascom Hall. The steeple, bells, clock, stained glass windows and other embellishments were later additions.
 
Erected 1983 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 75.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.536′ N, 89° 23.353′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on West Johnson Street 0.1 miles east of State Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 West Johnson Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orpheum Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wootton - Mead House (about 300 feet away); Kessenich's Building (about
Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 26, 2010
2. Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Marker
The marker is to the right of the main front door.
400 feet away); Breese J. Stevens House (about 500 feet away); Steensland House (about 500 feet away); Lamb Building (about 600 feet away); James Mears House (about 600 feet away); Braley House (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Holy Redeemer Catholic Church. Since St. Raphael's Cathedral burned on March 14, 2005, Holy Redeemer is now the oldest Catholic Church in Madison.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for other buildings designed by John Nader, including the other Catholic Church in the Cathedral Parish.
 
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of the Holy Redeemer Parish. (Submitted on December 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Landmark Nomination Form for Holy Redeemer Church. (Submitted on December 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Additional keywords. Architecture; Romanesque Revival
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Steeple Stone image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, November 26, 2010
3. Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Steeple Stone
The main inscription on the stone is "Domus Dei et Porta Coeli," which translates as "The house of God, and the Gateway to Heaven." Underneath this inscription is the year "1866" and a reference to "1 Gen.28.17."

Gen. 1:28 reads "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

Gen. 1:17 reads "And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement