Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maxie in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old West Florida

 
 
Old West Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Bell, April 15, 2010
1. Old West Florida Marker
Inscription. Area to south, originally part of French Louisiana, became West Florida under England and Spain. After West Florida Revolution annexed by U. S. and in 1812 was added to the Mississippi Territory.
 
Erected 2005 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Location. 31° 0.02′ N, 89° 12.071′ W. Marker is in Maxie, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on U.S. 49 mile north of Newton Field Road, in the median. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooklyn MS 39425, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forrest County Agricultural High School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Camp Shelby (approx. 13.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Old West Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Bell, April 15, 2010
2. Old West Florida Marker
Marker visible looking North along US Highway 49.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 717 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement