Near Coloma in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Sutter’s Mill Site
Tablet placed by Historic Landmarks Committees Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West January 24, 1948 on centennial of gold discovery.
Erected 1948 by Historic Landmarks Committees Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 530.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 48.209′ N, 120° 53.537′ W. Marker is near Coloma, California, in El Dorado County. Marker can be reached from Coloma Road (California Route 49) north of Mt Murply Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in Marshall Gold Discovery State Historical Park, the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Gold Boys Gold” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tailrace (within shouting distance of this marker); Partners In History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Wilson Marshall (about 400 feet away); The Coloma Road (about 500 feet away); Mormon Cabin (about 700 feet away); Sutter Mill Replica (about 700 feet away); Sutter Mill Timbers (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Coloma.
Also see . . .
1. Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park Site. (Submitted on March 8, 2006.)
2. Park Brochure. Page 7 of this brochure has a detailed map of the park. (Submitted on March 8, 2006.)
3. The Discovery of Gold in California. By Gen. John A. Sutter. (Submitted on March 8, 2006.)
4. The Sutter Family and the Origins of Gold-Rush. Book by John Augustus Sutter at Amazon.com (Submitted on March 16, 2006.)
5. John Sutter and a Wider West. Book edited by Kenneth N. Owens on Amazon.com (Submitted on March 16, 2006.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 7,644 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on , by Ken Horn of Springfield, Missouri. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.