Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Barracks

 
 
The Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. The Barracks Marker
Inscription. This longtime Smyrna landmark was constructed by Robert Holliday in the late 18th century. The first known residents of the home are believed to have been the family of his daughter, Susannah Holliday Wilson. The origin of the name “The Barracks” is uncertain, but records confirm that it was known as such from an early date. After being sold by the Wilson family in 1818, the property changed ownership on several occasions during the following four decades. One owner of note was Presley Spruance, United States Senator from Delaware (1847-1853). From 1859 until 1905 the home was the property of James P. Hoffecker, a prominent local druggist. During his ownership the building was renovated and expanded to include a store for his place of business. In 1863, Smyrna became the headquarters for the enrollment of Union troops in Delaware, and on August 12 of that year the state’s first Civil War draft lottery drawing was held on the front porch of The Barracks.

Following many years of use by a variety of businesses, the adjoining store was removed in 1975. On December 10, 1981, The Barracks was formally conveyed to the Duck Creek Historical Society. It became the Smyrna Museum in 1989.
 
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-85.)
 
Location.

National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
39° 18.024′ N, 75° 36.359′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on South Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 South Main Street, Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gray Box Chateau (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall (about 400 feet away); The Delaware House (about 500 feet away); Site of Green Pottery (about 600 feet away); The John Cummins Mansion (about 800 feet away); Home of Allen McLane (about 800 feet away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commodore Jacob Jones (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Barracks image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
3. The Barracks
Now occupied by the Smyrna Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement