Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall

 
 
Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall Marker
Inscription. In the spring of 1869, the Commissioners of Smyrna approved a plan to erect a Town Hall. Responding to the long-held desire of the citizens for a venue for public gatherings, architect Richard Mitchell designed the building to include a “hall” on the second floor. Ground was broken on July 15, 1869, and the building was opened the following spring. For many years it was the center of the community’s civic and social activities. Often attracting large crowds from long distances, the building’s “Opera House” provided a wide variety of entertainment including plays, lectures, music, and dancing. Many persons of national prominence appeared. Abolitionist and civil rights pioneer Frederick Douglass spoke here in 1880, and William Jennings Bryan addressed supporters during his campaign for U. S. President in 1900. In later years the second floor was used for showing motion pictures. The completion of a new Town Hall in 1976 and the subsequent relocation of town police resulted in the library’s expansion on the first floor. Restoration of the building was undertaken by the Smyrna Clayton Heritage Association in 1998, and the Opera House was formally reopened in 2003. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives
Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall
Now occupied by the Smyrna Public Library.
. (Marker Number KC-71.)
 
Location. 39° 17.979′ N, 75° 36.293′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of West South Street and S, Main Street, on the right when traveling east on West South Street. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the South Street side of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Barracks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gray Box Chateau (about 700 feet away); The Delaware House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Green Pottery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commodore Jacob Jones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Allen McLane (approx. 0.2 miles away); The John Cummins Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement