Town of Kenton
A post office was established here in 1857. With the arrival of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad following the Civil War, the town became an important shipping point for local goods and products. By the 1880s the town was home to 300 residents and a number of thriving businesses. On April 22, 1887, the Town of Kenton was formally incorporated by the Delaware General Assembly.
Erected 2000 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-66.)
Location. 39° 13.617′ N, 75° 39.901′ W. Marker is in Kenton, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on South Main Street just from E. Commerce Street (Delaware Route 42). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenton DE 19955, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little Creek Hundred (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.