Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building

 
 
Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building Marker
Inscription. Legislative Hall was dedicated as the state's new capitol building in 1933, replacing The Old State House on The Green. The Senate and the House of Representatives of Delaware's General Assembly meets here. The building also houses the offices of the legislators and the formal office of the Governor. Murals depicting Delaware history, portrait galleries of Delaware's Governors and military heroes, as well as changing exhibits are on display.

The Delaware General Assembly
21 Senators are elected to four-year terms, and 41 Representatives in the House serve two-year terms.
The General Assembly meets most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from the second week of January through the end of June, recessing from February to mid-March.
All sessions are open to the public.

Guided tours of Legislative Hall are provided by the First State Heritage Park on the first Saturday of each month and Monday through Friday throughout the year. The Old State House is also open for daily tours. For scheduled times visit www.destateparks.com/heritagepark or call 302.739.9194

Top left photo
This early 20th century postcard depicts Legislative Hall before the addition of winds on the north and south(1970) and east (1994) sides of the building.

Center photo
Delaware's governors are often inaugurated in front of the

Legislative Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. Legislative Hall
Exterior of building is under renovation.
west entrance to Legislative Hall, as in this photo of the 1957 inauguration of Governor James Caleb Boggs.

Top right photo
Lord de la Ware of England (standing) addresses the Legislature in 1955. A portrait of his ancestor, after whom Delaware is named, rests in the foreground.

Bottom right photo
Aerial view of the capitol complex in the early 1930s. The Old State House and Kent County Courthouse cupolas are visible at the top right.
 
Erected by First State Heritage Park.
 
Location. 39° 9.404′ N, 75° 31.201′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of William Penn Street and Legislative Avenue on William Penn Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First State Heritage Park of Dover (a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing); The Compass Rose (within shouting distance of this marker); The Congressional Medal Of Honor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The First State Heritage Park of Dover (about 300 feet away); The Bayonets of the Revolution

Legislative Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
3. Legislative Hall
View across Heritage Park
(about 400 feet away); Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment (about 400 feet away); The Delaware Continentals (about 400 feet away); The Delaware Regiment (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Dover.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement