Inscription. The Parish of St. James was founded by Act of Assembly in 1706. The present edifice was begun in 1714, and completed in 1719. The Royal Arms of Great Britain can still be seen over the chancel, and here is preserved the Izard Hatchment, said to be one of the only two in America. (Marker Number 8-6.)
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
|1. Goose Creek Church Marker|
Location. 32° 58.622′ N, 80° 1.968′ W. Marker is near Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Snake River Rd. 0.2 miles south of Old State Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James, Goose Creek (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Oaks (approx. half a mile away); Otranto Plantation (approx. one mile away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goose Creek.
More about this marker. The Goose Creek Church is also called St. James, Goose Creek. (See marker 8-47 m29495)
Also see . . . The Izard Hatchment. A Hatchment is a picture of the family coat of arms and was borne before the body into the church at the time of the funeral, and remained there, hanging upon the wall, according to the English custom, after the body was committed to the ground.
Material in this link is from Harper's magazine December 1875.
Courtesy of Cornell University Library, Making of America Digital Collection. (Submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 899 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |