“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hartford in Geneva County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Earliest Church In Hartford

Earliest Church In Hartford Marker image. Click for full size.
March 6, 2010
1. Earliest Church In Hartford Marker
Inscription. Organized on June 30, 1888 by thirteen charter members as Dundee Missionary Baptist Church. The congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on this present site. The first church building was erected from pine slabs in the summer of 1886. This served as the house of worship until June 1954 at which time it was destroyed by fire. Reconstruction was begun immediately and completed in October 1954. The designated name Shiloh was the home church of seven of the thirteen charter members. The mother church is located at Cottonhill, (Clay County) Georgia. The thirteen original members were:
J. J. Peacock Martha Jane Peacock Augustus Ham Bethiah Ham A. S. Peacock Hattie E. Peacock Sarah Stokes J. E. Hudson W. O. Williams Fannie Williams J. N. Kirkland Jane E. Hawthorne Margrete Hawthorne
Location. 31° 6.909′ N, 85° 40.204′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Alabama, in Geneva County. Marker is on North Shiloh Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 873 North Shiloh Road, Hartford AL 36344, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1840's Split Log Cabin (approx. 8.5 miles away); Providence Baptist Church
Earliest Church In Hartford Marker image. Click for full size.
March 6, 2010
2. Earliest Church In Hartford Marker
(approx. 9 miles away); Daleville, Alabama (approx. 13 miles away); Boyhood Home of Rev. Bob Jones (approx. 13.6 miles away); Town of Level Plains (approx. 14.2 miles away); When The Lights Came On (approx. 14.6 miles away in Florida); Keith Cabin (approx. 15.3 miles away in Florida); First United Methodist Church (approx. 17.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located at the corner of the church cemetery nearest the church building.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 153 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement