Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Quaker Meeting House
The Battle Begins
—Battle of Lynchburg —
Gen. John D. Imboden’s cavalry joined McCausland to defend this high ground until Gen. Jubal A. Early’s command arrived. The dismounted troopers dug trenches for protection and used the cemetery wall to shelter the artillery. Union Gen. William W. Averell’s cavalry attacked late in the afternoon but was repulsed. Gen. George Crook’s Federal infantry followed with a successful assault, but by then Early’s corps had arrived and the Battle of Lynchburg began in earnest.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 22.362′ N, 79° 11.578′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of John Lynch Place and Fort Avenue (U.S. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave of John Lynch (within shouting distance of this marker); 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Quaker Meeting House (about 500 feet away); Sandusky (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Sandusky (approx. half a mile away); Lynchburg (approx. half a mile away); Fort Early (approx. 1.6 miles away); Jubal Early Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. Three portraits are on the upper right of the marker:
Gen. John Daniel Imboden commanded Confederate cavalry and fought with Gen. John C. Breckinridge at New Market in Mat 1864 before joining Gen. Jubal A. Early in Lynchburg. - Library of Congress
Union Gen. George Crook commanded Hunter’s Second Division at Lynchburg. Crook later replaced Hunter as commander of the Army of West Virginia following the ill-fated campaign. - Library of Congress
Union Gen. William W. Averell was unsuccessful as a cavalry commander during the Civil War. Relieved by Gen. Philip H. Sheridan in the fall of 1864, he resigned from the army to become U.S. consul to Canada. - Library of Congress
On the lower left is a photo of the "South River Meeting House. Built by Quaker settlers in 1798, it was abandoned before the Civil War. John Lynch, the city’s founder, and Confederate surgeon Dr. J.J. Terrell are buried in the cemetery."
A map of showing the unit locations in the battle with respect to modern landmarks is on the lower right.
Regarding Quaker Meeting House. This is one in a series of Civil War Trails markers interpreting the Battle of Lynchburg (17-18 June 1864) and the city's role in the Civil War. Select the Civil War Virtual Tour by Marker link below to see other related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Lynchburg Virtual Tour by Markers. An eight stop Civil War Trails tour, with several Virginia state markers and other memorials added.
2. Battle of Lynchburg. Additional narrative of the Battle of Lynchburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,927 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.