Robesonia in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Founded 1794 as Reading Furnace by ironmaster George Ege. In 1845 Henry P. Robeson expanded the furnace, spurring establishment in 1855 of the town of Robesonia. Although the furnace itself ceased operation and was razed in 1927, the Georgian-style ironmaster's mansion, Italianate office building, workers' houses, and other structures survived. The district is located one mile south of here.
Erected 1992 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Comission.
Location. 40° 20.986′ N, 76° 7.735′ W. Marker is in Robesonia, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is at the intersection of Penn Avenue (U.S. 422) and Freeman Street, on the right when traveling east on Penn Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 East Penn Avenue, Robesonia PA 19551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Is this Weiser's House? (approx. 2.3 miles away); Home of Conrad Weiser, 1729-1760 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Tulpehocken Path (approx. 2.4 miles away); Home and Grave of Conrad Weiser (approx. 2.4 miles away); Conrad Weiser Lerch Tavern (approx. 2.7 miles away); Charming Forge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Soldiers in Hain's Church Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. History of Robesonia Furnace. (Submitted on December 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Robesonia Furnace Photos. (Submitted on December 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. History of Robesonia Furnace. (Submitted on December 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of surviving buildings • Can you help?