Near Pleasant Plains in Sangamon County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A revolutionary soldier, 3rd N.J. Regt., built the first brick house in Sangamon County, 1820-1827.
This Clayville Tavern was built about 1834 by a son,
a soldier of 1812. Brick for both houses were made on the farm.
Stagecoaches stopped here.
Lincoln and Douglas were frequent guests.
Here passed the old Waubansie Indian Trail. Erected by Springfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution September 17, 1938
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 52.009′ N, 89° 53.793′ W. Marker is near Pleasant Plains, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is on Illinois Route 125 just from Clayville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasant Plains IL 62677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter Cartwright (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lincolnís Store Partner (approx. 4.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Mentor Graham (approx. Sangamon River (approx. 6 miles away); New Salem (approx. 6 miles away); Historic Tree (approx. 6 miles away); Prairie Land (approx. 6 miles away); Potawatomi Trail of Death (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Clayville Historical Site. Information about the site. (Submitted on January 1, 2011, by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.