Harrisonburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate General Hospital
Harrisonburg Female Academy
Various buildings in Harrisonburg were used as temporary hospitals from the outset of the war. The most important of these was the Harrisonburg Female Academy at this location on Main Street. The large, three-story building had been built on this site in 1852. It was converted to hospital use in 1861, and Harrisonburg physician Dr. W.W.S. Butler was appointed surgeon in charge.
The academy building became an official Confederate General Hospital in October 1862. By the next July, 763 patients had been treated. Of that total, only 19 had died, a remarkable record for any Civil War hospital. Many of the fatalities were buried in Harrisonburg’s Woodbine Cemetery. There were so many sick and wounded in Harrisonburg during the summer of 1863, as troops retreated from Gettysburg, the hospital could not hold them all.
As control of Harrisonburg alternated back and forth from Confederate to Union forces several times during the war, doctors staffing the
“Only a little time elapsed … before the building used as a school house in days of peace was converted into a hospital, and from that time until the summer of 1865 it was never without the sick and wounded. … Several battles were fought near the town, and the hospitals were often filled with the wounded of both armies.”
— Orra Gray Langhorne, Our Women of the War (1885)
Erected 2010 by Virginia Civil War Trails and Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 26.771′ N, 78° 52.171′ W. Marker is in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles north of Campbell Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 345 South Main Street, Harrisonburg VA 22801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Warren-Sipe House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardesty-Higgins House McNeill’s Rangers (about 600 feet away); The Big Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrisonburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court Square & Springhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Rockingham County World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Woodbine Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Harrisonburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a sketch with the caption, "Collecting the wounded after an engagement, 1864" Courtesy Library of Congress
On the right is a water color with the caption, "Harrisonburg Female Academy (demolished in 1879), watercolor by Austin Loewner" Courtesy Massanutten Regional Library
On the lower right is a "You Are Here" map of downtown Harrisonburg.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Trails in Harrisonburg & Rockingham County. (Submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Virginia Civil War Trails - Harrisonburg and area. Civil War Traveler (Submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation. (Submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 5. submitted on , by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.