“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse

Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
1. Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. A temporary light was established on the south end of the recently completed National Harbor of Refuge Breakwater on January 1, 1902. It was replaced in 1908 by a three-story frame lighthouse. A series of storms damaged the structure, resulting in its removal and replacement in 1926. The present Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse became operational on November 15, 1926. This white and black structure consists of a three story cylindrical tower with a watch room above. The foundation is a cast iron caisson of curved plates bolted together. It is lined with three feet of concrete. The lighthouse stands seventy-six feet above the breakwater. It shows a flashing white light seventy-two feet above mean high water which is visible fourteen miles to sea. Coast Guard light keepers manned the light until it was automated in December 1973. In 2004, the Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse was transferred by the United States Department of the Interior to the Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation.
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-186.)
Location. 38° 46.933′ N, 75° 7.136′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Cape Henlopen Drive. Click for map. Located within the Cape May-Lewes Ferry terminal. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delaware Pilots (a few steps from this marker); Unknown Sailors' Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Breakwaters (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Menhaden Fisheries (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lighthouses (approx. 0.6 miles away); German Submarine at Cape Henlopen (approx. one mile away); Quarantine Station (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewes.
Additional keywords. Lewes, Lighthouse, Cape Henlopen
Categories. LandmarksWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement